You may be wondering what to do with some of our unique products. So, here are a few sample recipes to get your inspiration flowing!
Black Garlic Chili
1# ground beef and/or lamb
1 ¾ c. mixed dry beans (pinto, cranberry and kidney)
3 cloves of black garlic, about ½ Tbsp. minced
2 medium cloves garlic, about ½ Tbsp. minced
1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, minced seeds removed
1 onion, chopped
1 ½ c. broth from beans
14.5 oz. tomato sauce
14.5 diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. seasalt
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
2 Tbsp. black garlic vinegar
Garlic cheese, grated
How to cook dry beans in a pressure cooker –
- Soak 1 ¾ c. beans overnight in a bowl with water covering the beans by at least an inch.
- Drain the water out of the beans.
- Place kombu to soak in a bowl half hour before cooking beans. When soft, chop into smaller pieces. Reserving water for cooking.
- Put beans in the pressure cooker with water to cover, dash of salt, kombu and the kombu soaking water. Close pressure cooker lid. Turn heat on high.
- When steam comes out of top. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes and turn off heat.
- Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes, release the steam. Uncover and cool open for 10 – 15 minutes.
Prepare the chili –
- Begin by preparing the beans.
- Sauté in oil the onion, pepper and garlics.
- Add ground meat and stir occasionally until meat is browned.
- Add bean broth with cooked beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices. Stir well.
- Cook uncovered for one hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking and burning.
- Add vinegar and stir well. Serve with grated garlic cheddar cheese.
Miso Glazed Sweet Potatoes
2 medium orange fleshed sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp. red or white miso
1 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. water, more as needed
- Preheat oven to 375ᵒ.
- Wash potatoes and cut into half inch rounds.
- Spread olive oil on baking sheet.
- Place potatoes on sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn and bake for 15 minutes.
- Brush miso sauce on potatoes and bake for 7 minutes. Serve.
Corn, Tomato and Bean Salad with Tahini Vinagrette
1 ear white corn, cut off cob
2 c. fresh green bean pieces
1 ½ c. red tomatoes, chopped
½ c. feta, crumbled
2 Tbsp. basil, chopped
1 Tbsp. mint, chopped
¼ c. tahini
Juice of half medium lemon
2 tsp. garlic powder
¼ c. olive oil
1 Tbsp. fig vinegar
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. water
- Cook corn and green beans in lightly boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Put cut tomatoes, herbs and feta in a large bowl.
- Add strained corn and beans while still warm.
- Salt to taste.
- Add vinegar. Mix well and serve.
Fall Fruit Salad
Choose your favorite fall fruits – figs, late peaches and nectarines, grapes
Cut into cubes and mix in a bowl. Drizzle lightly with mulberry vinegar.
Mulberry Steak Salad Serves 6
1 lb. top sirloin steak
¾ – 1 c. Mulberry vinaigrette (recipe below)
2 heads Bibb lettuce
2 c. crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
1 c. pecan pieces
½ avocado, cut in pieces
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
10 – 15 cherry tomatoes, yellow and red
2 Tbsp. butter or 1 Tbsp. olive oil
10 kalamata olives, cut in half
Mulberry vinaigrette (double recipe for 6):
⅓ c. olive oil
¼ c. mulberry vinegar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
1/8 tsp. salt
Mix thoroughly. Refrigerate.
- Marinate steak in ¼ c. Mulberry vinaigrette overnight. In the morning, turn steak over and marinate until cooking.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter or olive oil. Set aside.
- Candy pecans by warming them in a sauté pan with maple syrup until thoroughly coated. Spread onto plate and set aside to cool.
- Wash lettuce in bite-sized pieces and place in large salad bowl.
- Broil steak for 6 minutes on one side, 5 minutes on the other for medium-rare. Slice thinly into 18 pieces.
- Spread cherry tomatoes (cut large one in half), candied pecans, kalamatas and goat cheese over lettuce.
- Put a serving of salad on a plate. Place 3 slices of steak, sautéed mushrooms and vinaigrette on top. Serve.
Ginger Peach Slow Cooked Pork
Leave out the peaches in the stew. In the sauce, leave out the honey and change the vinegar to Garlic Jalapeño Lime vinegar for a more savory dish.
3# pork loin roast
2 Tbsp. grated ginger
1 Tbsp. honey
¼ c. peach vinegar
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 c. vegetarian chicken broth
1 ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
3 peaches, peeled and quartered
1 small sweet potato
1 medium parsnip
3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ᵒ.
- Put pork loin in slow cooker.
- Prepare sauce and pour over the pork.
- Lay peach wedges on top of pork.
- Set to slow cook on high. Cook for 3 hours. Check periodically to be sure it isn’t getting dry. Add more broth if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cut sweet potato and parsnip into 1” pieces.
- Put cut vegetables on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast in heated oven for 20 minutes. Stir vegetables and return for another 20 minutes or until well roasted. Set aside for later.
- After 3 hours of cooking the pork, add the roasted vegetables. Cook for another 30 minutes and serve.